Flick talks Lamine, Raphinha, Olmo, Ballon d’Or after Barcelona 5-1 Feyenoord

Hansi Flick, Barcelona manager

Barcelona manager Hansi Flick believes Lamine Yamal deserves to win the Ballon d’Or after the teenager marked his Champions League campaign with a goal in the 5-1 victory over Feyenoord.

Barça produced another emphatic attacking display in their European opener, continuing the impressive form that has seen them score freely at the start of the season. 

Flick was delighted with the performance and the atmosphere around his squad, but the German refused to suggest his team has reached its ceiling.

Instead, the Barcelona boss pointed back to the training ground as the foundation for their early-season form.

“Training sessions have been of a very high standard. The one we had after the Valencia match (0–5) was the best of the year.

“I said as much just yesterday. It’s good to see that we make changes and the team maintains its standard. That’s good news for us.”

That consistency has become one of the defining features of Flick’s Barcelona. 

The team followed the 5-0 away victory over Valencia with another five-goal display against Feyenoord, suggesting the attacking rhythm is already well established.

Flick backs Lamine Yamal for Ballon d’Or

Flick is extremely pleased with Raphinha. (Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images)

Yamal was one of the central figures of the night, scoring and also taking on responsibility as Barcelona captain. 

Flick was unequivocal when asked whether the youngster should win the Ballon d’Or.

“He’s my player, so of course I do. He deserves to win the Ballon d’Or. 

“He’s an exceptional, special player. Anyone who watches his matches knows he deserves it.”

The manager was also pleased to see the relationship between Yamal and Raphinha continue to flourish. 

Raphinha, who has also worn the captain’s armband, was praised for his influence and intensity.

“It’s great; you can see the team spirit. I’m really pleased for both of them. Raphinha is a good captain.”

Barcelona’s attacking depth was another positive for Flick. Raphinha, Dani Olmo and Gabriel Jesus have all been used as centre-forwards, while their differing qualities give the manager several ways to alter the attack.

“In every situation, and at every moment, we can make changes and that’s a good thing. 

“Dani Olmo is good at controlling the ball and dictating play. Raphinha plays with great intensity and attacks the space behind the defence. And from set pieces we have Lamine.” 

Barcelona have plenty to improve

Flick was equally clear that Barcelona cannot become satisfied with their early results.

“I’m the Barça manager and I’m happy to be here. I think we’ve done well in the first five matches; we’ve scored plenty of goals and we’re playing as a team, as a unit. 

“It’s fantastic to see this, and we love seeing the fans enjoying our performances.”

Despite the convincing scoreline, Flick is not allowing the result to obscure the areas he believes still need work.

“I like what I see, but I also see areas where we need to improve. The most important thing, as I say, is training.

“Because that’s where you improve. Then you get to the matches, analyse them and try to improve again.”

No comparisons with Bayern Munich

Hansi Flick refused to compare the current squad with his historic Bayern Munich team. (Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images)

Flick also rejected comparisons with his Bayern Munich team that won the Sextete, preferring to judge this Barcelona side on its own merits.

“I don’t like making comparisons. But I’m happy here in Barcelona. It’s looking promising, but there’s still a long way to go. 

“Everyone is hungry to improve, and that has an impact on the team and how they perform on the pitch.”

That hunger may be the most encouraging part of Barcelona’s start. 

Flick sees quality on the ball, intensity in training and a strong collective spirit, but his message remains demanding: the standard cannot drop.

“The team are working well and very hard. We’ve got a lot of quality on the ball. I’m very pleased. 

“We can improve, and that’s what we have to aim for: high intensity in training, maintaining a competitive edge, seeing where we can improve and staying focused on that. We’re demanding the very best,” he concluded.

Source: AS

The post Flick talks Lamine, Raphinha, Olmo, Ballon d’Or after Barcelona 5-1 Feyenoord appeared first on Barca Universal.



from Barca Universal https://ift.tt/saG2iET

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.